Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Breading season here we come!

 My first litters of the year were born the end of February,  this is a month earlier then last year. The weather here had warmed up for a few days in Jan and I think my rabbits started spring breading early.  So far the babies seem to be doing well. 

I had an first experience with my does using the same nest. I had 2 litters born a week apart and the second litter was put in with the first nest.  The youngest litter seem to be getting fed so I am letting mother nature take it's course this time to see how things go.  I will be putting some fresh hay by the nest during the 3rd week so the babies have access if they are ready to start eating.  I am hoping that the young litter will get nursed enough, there are 2 does taking care of both litters.

I read up on this and other rabbit farmers have said this is normal and call it co-parenting.  So wish me luck! I will post pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment